Duty Station: Centurion
Fixed Term Appointment – One Year
The primary function of this position is to conduct research. The Research Officer will participate in the planning stages of research assignments. She/he will work with team members to identify project goals, research methods, variables, and other test parameters required to conduct research or evaluations. The staff member must demonstrate willingness and ability to manage a demanding work load, as well as maturity and professionalism, and work with minimal supervision.
The Social Policy Network (SPN) is a development firm providing technical expertise, research, trainings and advise to government departments, development agencies and civil society organisations.
- Prepare research proposals
- Prepare research reports
- Participate in forums and meetings developing strong formal relationships with senior partner government officials, donors and other stakeholders
- Collates information and draws from a variety of information sources to inform research projects;
- Participation in programming activities: actively participate in project management team meetings, team planning (strategic, action and work planning) processes.
- Tertiary qualification in gender, human rights or social sciences
- 2+ years of professional experience conducting social research in a university, think tank, NGO or consultancy firm
- Experience of designing quantitative research tools
- Experience of quantitative and statistical data analysis, including of large existing data sets, using Excel and/or SPSS or other software
- Experience of designing qualitative research tools
- Experience of conducting and organising qualitative fieldwork
- Experience of conducting qualitative analysis using Excel, Word and/or NVivo
- Proficiency with computer applications including Microsoft Office, word, Excel, Ms, Projects, PowerPoint, Email and the internet and social media
- Experience of having conducted desktop research
- Knowledge of a range of research methodologies
- Evidence of ability to grasp complex concepts and debates quickly and to engage with these effectively through research
- Evidence of having worked in group settings and / or as part of a cross-organisational or inter-organisational team
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to deal with people from different nationalities, race, ethnic groups, people with disabilities and People Living with HIV/AIDS
- Gender analysis skills will be an asset
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Data visualisation skills
- Able to communicate in English
- Ability to communicate in local South African official languages will be an assert
- Strong interpersonal skills, pleasant, courteous and poised in all interactions.
- 240,000 ZAR Annually- cost to company.
Anticipated Starting Date: By October 2018
Interested consultants can send their one-page profiles and full CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply Online Now